THE INSTAGRAM BUSINESS FAST TRACK
DAY 1 - BIO LOVE
- Business vs Personal Account
- How to Convert to Business
- Let's Spruce Up That Bio
- Profile Pic
- Biz Bio (super important)
- Your Branded Hashtag
- Your Link
Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or Good Evening to you night owls! I'm SO excited that you are signed up for my 5-day intensive Instagram Business Fast Track. This course is going to:
- whip your Insta into shape,
- educate you on the most important aspects of the "Gram" for your business,
- and outline a plan that you can implement to grow your business on Instagram.
This course is NOT a good fit for you if:
- you want a million followers in a month or
- you care more about growing numbers instead of growing fans
And the cool part? We'll be doing this together. While I've had an Instagram account for a long time, I just started completely over with a business account because I wanted a fresh start and to separate my business and personal accounts (which I highly recommend and we'll talk later about why).
What I love most about this course is that it breaks down these tasks into bite size chunks. I know as a fellow business owner that our time is precious, but I want you to think of the time this week you are spending on your Instagram feed as FUTURE DEPOSITS. The time and effort you spend NOW will reap rewards for your future self. Trust me, your future self will thank you.
OK, let's get to work!
Before we get started let's look at a few facts.
- Your customers are on Instagram. Just this year the platform hit 1 BILLION users. And the average user spends about 53 minutes a DAY on the platform.
- Instagram converts. Instagram has a higher conversion rate than even Pinterest. Visitors on Instagram often go on to spend an average of $65 on products they have seen on the platform.
- Instagram is visual. Social media users engage much more with visual content.
- You can leverage user-generated content. Encourage your users to share how they are using your services or products. Customers love to see themselves in your feed and this encourages them to be a loyal customer.
Personal or Business Account?
I've created this little chart to help you decide if you should convert a profile to a business account. For the most part, I recommend a business make the leap with only one warning.
If you remember back in 2014, Facebook make major changes to Business Pages. Essentially, businesses now must "pay to play" on Facebook. Getting a large, organic reach on Facebook is extremely difficult for business pages. Some worry that Instagram could make the same changes.
Making the switch was a simple decision for me. I batch and schedule all of my social media for myself, and my clients, and this is only possible in Instagram with a business profile.
To Convert To a Business Profile:
If you've decided to make the switch to a business profile it's fairly simple.
- Go to your profile and tap the gear (iPhone) or elipses (Android) in the top-right corner.
- Tap Sign up for a Business Profile.
- Tap Create New Account or Convert Existing Account.
- (Optional) If you want to connect your account to an existing Facebook Page, you can, but it's not required. If you plan on using third party apps with your Instagram Business Profile, you'll need to connect it to a Facebook Page.
- Make sure your profile is set to Public. Private accounts can't switch to Business Accounts.
- On the Set Up Your Business Profile page, review your business's contact information, make any changes and tap Done.
Let's Spruce Up That Bio
The Instagram Bio section is small and the real estate is a premium. You want to maximize this space to it's fullest potential. I want to cover just a couple of extremely important points here that can really make a big difference in your business.
This is pretty straight forward. The username or "handle" that you selected is displayed here. I recommend trying to keep these consistent across all social media platforms. If you are just setting up your business, right now is the perfect time to grab the handle you want to use on IG, Facebook, Twitter, etc., even if you don't use those platforms yet.
The Profile Pic
Your profile picture should be either your logo, a product that you offer, or your face. For me, I chose my face being that I am a service based industry. But I also love the idea of using your logo to grow brand awareness for your business.
This should be the actual name of your business. So while my handle is loriivey.marketing, here is where I put my business name: Lori Ivey. I use the line below that for my business tagline (Website Design & Marketing).
Let's talk for a moment about your Business Bio. This is a short sentence that succinctly explains what you offer your customers. And PLEASE DON'T TUNE ME OUT. Did you know that if a customer can't figure out what you do or offer within 3-5 seconds they are OUT? Do you struggle with easily and quickly explaining to someone what you do?
You really need to take a few minutes to craft your Biz Bio. Once you do, this can be used on your website, all social media, your email signature...etc. You get the idea.
So while this is a course about Instagram, I want to help you craft your Biz Bio if you don't have one using a very simple formula. Here it is in 3 easy steps:
1. Describe the SERVICE you offer in 3-5 words. Use at least 1 adjective to start. Examples:
- all-natural, organic smoothies
- professional and comprehensive dental services
- curated work fashion collection
2. What the customer will receive or benefit with your service (try to start with a verb):
- energize and nourish your body
- deliver healthy smiles
- keeps you looking great
3. Describe the problem you are solving for your customer:
So you can...
- live your fullest life.
- confidently face the day.
- focus on being your best self.
See what we did there? We just crafted 3 brand bios for 3 different businesses:
- Our all-natural, organic smoothies energize and nourish your body so that you can live your fullest life.
- Our professional and comprehensive dental services deliver healthy smiles so you can confidently face the day.
- Our curated work fashion collection keeps you looking great so you can focus on being your best self.
"My proven strategies will help grow your audience so you can get back to the "business" of your business."
It's literally plug and play. Fill in the blanks. Now, take a moment to go to my Instagram, my Facebook, my website. Guess what's the FIRST thing you see? You guessed it. My Biz Bio.
Now, download this pdf, and get to work crafting your Biz Bio!
Also, it's a great idea to go ahead and come up with your businesses' unique hashtag. You are going to use this later on when we work on content. Examples of hashtags I use for my business are #thelittledigitalagency #igbusinessfasttrack.
Now let's talk about the fact that Instagram allows you to have only ONE link on your Bio. That's OK. For some people, one link is all they need.
Perhaps you have a nice, simple website where you want to direct potential customers. Maybe you want people to shop. Perhaps you are trying to grow your email list and you want people to subscribe.
However, most businesses are going to want/need to direct people to more that one action. For this, I recommend Linktree. It's an awesome service that allows you to give more than one call to action, and even better, it's completely FREE and easy to setup.
Well congratulations on making it through Day 1 of the Instagram Business Fast Track. Today you gave your Instgram Bio some much needed love. You've got that Biz Bio rocking and your adding it as we speak to the TIP TOP of your website (with a call-to-action I hope) and all of your social media platforms. You're linking to your most important link, or you've set up Linktree for multiple links.
Tomorrow we are going to talk about curating content, posting frequency, and writing captivating captions.